Wednesday, April 25, 2012

THE MIRROR’S GOT TWO FACES

I look up at the sky through the large window. It’s filled with stars, sparkling with their entire glow. They are happy, a deep contrast to what lay in my heart. I look down at the ground far below. If someone happened to fall from there, they wouldn’t survive. I wouldn’t survive. Sigh! Should I take a step forward?
It all began about a month back. I had turned 23 and so, on my birthday party the main and the only topic of discussion was my marriage. I smirked it off like I did when I was young and people would tease me about my perfect groom. What I didn’t know was that people weren’t teasing me this time. They were serious.
My birthday passed and so did this whole fiasco from my mind. But the same wasn’t true for my uncle and aunt, who were my guardians. And hence, began the process of selecting a groom, to my great disapproval. No one cared to take my consent. All they were interested in was how to send me off from their home tying me in an almost unbreakable bond.
What no one understood was that I too had some dreams. I wanted to be a businesswoman. I had my own plans, my own desire.
“You can continue after your marriage. That’s how the 21st century women are.” is what they said. “Yah, I know, but I won’t be able to devote much time in my plans then.” I used to reply. However, it was of no use. So I pretended. It must have been really good because no one doubted a thing. They thought I had agreed. That was far from the truth. I planned, secretly. During this, I also learned that no human being is simple. Everyone has a darker side. I had to bring out my darker side. Because I had a dream to fulfill.
The most surprising thing of this arrangement was that it didn’t take much time for my relatives to find the groom, thanks to the matrimonial sites. I rejected many, yet somehow, nobody wanted to let go of this one. Corporate Lawyer, after all. His earnings were huge. Free as I was, I refused to be dependent on another person for a living, or to start my own source of living, as a matter of fact. As if he would allow me to follow my dreams after we tied the knots.
What followed the next few weeks was totally out of my understandings. No engagement, it was a direct jump to marriage. And today was the Big day. I was and am devastated.
And now comes the big question – “Should I take a step forward?” I smiled, went inside and came back with a bed cover.
The mirror seems so clean and bright,
Yet it has got two faces.
One day, while the other night.
Not what the world embraces

One face says it is honest
Claims it reflects the best.
The world thinks that is it,
The mirror is the perfect fit.

The other is darker but true,
Seen to the people so few.
Hidden and locked somewhere inside;
A side, the mirror can’t confide.

A lie is what’s outside
The wicked grin as I try to hide,
Try, but you can’t solve the phrases,
Coz my mirror’s got two faces.

And I fled towards a new world, towards my dream because I dared to envision it.

No comments:

Post a Comment